1. The final draft of your research essay is due by the end of the day on May 17th. Read the instructions carefully, and remember to name your draft correctly and submit as a Word Document. Remember that if you want feedback on this draft you should follow the instructions to let me know. Also, in case there is any confusion, the paper is the final for our class. Every class is assigned a time and place for a final exam, but if you show up there you will be all alone.
2. Queens College really wants me to urge you to fill out Course Evaluations. You can do that here.
3. I posted a few links that I think might be helpful, including an essay about cutting words from your writing. If I find additional resources I will add them to that post. The resources we’ve been discussing in class can also help you as you write and revise your formal draft. I recommend reviewing Chapter Three, “The Art of Quoting,” from They Say, I Say, as well as Chapter Eight, “Connecting the Parts,” and the essay “Acknowledgments and Responses.” Refresh your memory regarding the qualities of an effective thesis, or review the potential “argument paths” we discussed the other week, and the handout titled Choosing Verbs to Indicate Stance. You may want to review the handout on Effective Paragraphing in order to help you assess and improve your structure. You may also want to read the handouts on Transitions and on Section Titles and Signposts.
4. Remember that if you have completed my style quiz (the form asks for your email address) and you have not yet used a one-time pass, you can use this pass to grant you an extra 24 hours, penalty-free, to submit your final draft. To use your pass, follow the instructions in the post. You can still complete this quiz!
5. If you plan to write a revision of your lens analysis essay you should plan to upload your revision by the end of the last class day, today. Instructions for requesting to write a revision are posted here. You can also receive extra credit for visiting the Writing Center, and documenting your visit. If you would like to take either of these opportunities, please read the guidelines carefully.
6. If you are planning to write a research essay and you have not yet submitted a draft or been in touch with me, please get in touch to communicate your plans.
7. I posted an announcement about QC Voices, a student publication that you can write for, should you choose to apply and be accepted.